Thank you for considering employment with the Tata Centre for Development. Below is a list of openings with TCD and our projects. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Project Coordinator: Shakti
Type of Position: Consultant
Location: Bengaluru region
About the Role
We are seeking a motivated and entrepreneurial individual to join the Shakti team. The position is based out of Bengaluru, India. The position will last 6 months and involves assisting in day-to-day operations related to a pilot project. The responsibilities will be as a project coordinator and will involve the following duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to project by developing partnerships with non-governmental and governmental organizations to ensure they provide women with access to Shakti and collect feedback
- Facilitate improvement and development of the product by interviewing or surveying consumers.
- Works with the Shakti team to execute the work plan for developing strategic partnerships, and product development on a day-to-day basis.
- Reports to their supervisor with findings and insights on the target beneficiaries and potential ideas to continue to improve the product and service.
- Bachelors/Masters in humanities, management, or law is preferred
- Previous experience working in client-facing roles
- Interest in access to justice and public benefits related issues
- Verbal communication skills in English and Kannada
- Attention to detail required
- Motivated and entrepreneurial
- Self-starter. Does not need constant supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with local people for logistical activities
- Good understanding or willingness to learn legal issues
- A desire for learning and innovating
- Research Associate: Logistics and Trade
Type of Position: Research Associate, Consultant
Location: Delhi, with domestic travel in India
About the Project
Reporting to the Country Director of the UChicago Trust in India, the Research Associate will work on a project on studying the impact of recent policy reforms on logistics, infrastructure and trade sectors in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand empirical and field research experience working on a project led by Prof. Jonathan Dingel (Booth School of Business, University of Chicago) and Prof. Prabhat Barnwal (Department of Economics, Michigan State University).
India is undergoing a transformation in its logistics sector where the regulatory focus is currently on improving the efficiency in this sector and reducing bottlenecks by policy reforms and infrastructure building. This research projects primarily aims to study how the recent policy changes has impacted the cost of trade in India, and its implications for various sectors in the economy. This is an empirical and data-intensive research project.
There will be three main responsibilities. First, to build and maintain relationship with private- and public-sector partners to collect data. Second, to clean data and conduct statistical analysis using Stata, R or any other suitable statistical package. Third, to design and implement field surveys. The position will be based in Delhi, with domestic travel as needed.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual with an interest in economics and policy research.
Prior experience in interactions with government and private-sector partners in a research setting is highly valuable, but we are equally open to individuals who have solid private-sector experience, especially in the logistics sector. In the past, associates working on similar research projects have moved on to continue their career in public policy/consulting or have joined a PhD program in economics/business/public policy. Candidates who are looking for research experience before they apply to doctoral or masters programs are welcome to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate will work closely with the Principal Investigators, act as a liaison between them and partner organizations, and, lead the project on multiple fronts including data collection, analysis, and the implementation of field surveys. More specifically, the Research Associate will:
- Interact closely with partner organizations, to collect data, to provide analysis and ensure alignment between research objectives and ground-level realities. This includes starting new contacts with potential partners as well as continuing existing relationships.
- Lead field operations of pilot exercises, together with staff of the partner organization, while carefully observing research protocols.
- Design survey questionnaires and help train a small team of field-based surveyors.
- Be responsible for data collection, ensuring it meets the highest standards of quality.
- Create and maintain records, clean data, and perform preliminary data analysis.
- Perform other duties as required to further the research project, including identifying new research areas related to the main project.
- Report on all of the above-mentioned activities on a regular basis.
- A three- or four- years of university-level coursework in economics, engineering, or related fields.
- Strong quantitative, data analysis and computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Self-motivation, flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to work independently, including in field locations, while balancing multiple tasks and prioritizing effectively.
- We expect some familiarity with database systems and programming languages like Python, and basic skills in statistical packages like STATA or R.
- Master’s degree in economics, engineering, or a related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to maintain relationships with external organizations.
- Firsthand field knowledge and experience relevant to logistics sector in India.
- Experience collecting data or conducting quantitative or qualitative research.
- Intermediate proficiency in a programming language like Python and/or statistical package like Stata or R.
Note on Work Authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.This covers citizens of India, Nepal, or Bhutan, and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI).
- Program Associate - Jharkhand Star Rating Program
Type of Position: Program Associate, Consultant (1-year)
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand
About the Role:
Reporting to the TCD Program Lead at the University of Chicago Trust in India, TCD is hiring a Program Associate with strong policy advocacy and data analysis skills to lead the Star Rating Program in Jharkhand. The program is be implemented in close coordination with the State Pollution Control Board. The Program Associate will be engaged in developing a customized program along the lines of the Star Rating Program in Maharashtra (www.mpcb.info) and Odisha (www.ospcb.info), liaise with the Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board in implementing the program, develop a robust data management system, review the policy framework in the energy and environment space and propose regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, power & energy, environmental science, engineering or a similar field is required
- Master’s degree in energy domain is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience including work in program delivery and/or public policy related to energy or climate programs in India.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a strong track record in managing programs and teams, preferably in the energy and climate or related finance areas.
- Advanced academic degree (Post Graduate) may count towards work experience
- Experience with and/or academic training in data analytics through statistical tools and research methods required
- Experience working with advanced excel, Strata or R is a plus
- Familiarity with research in energy and environment is is a plus
- Prior experience working closely with SPCBs in design and delivery of environmental projects will be an added advantage.
- Strong data analysis skills through Benchmarking and Statistical tools like
- Strata and R with demonstrable training and experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Regulations, Energy and Environmental policy literature is required; work/research experience in the area is strongly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present data in a simple and straightforward way for non-technical audiences required
- Communicate with local municipal authorities, state government officials and local industries.
- Build strong external relationships and partnerships with state governments, research organizations, think tanks and civil society on issues related to energy and environment
Interested applicants must submit an online application. Application includes resume and short letter of suitability that includes relevant examples to explain your application. If you encounter any issues with the online application or have questions, please email email@example.com.
Apply by March 31, 2019.
About the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago (EPIC India)
India faces the dual challenge of rapidly improving living standards—through sustained economic growth and expanded access to reliable and affordable energy—while simultaneously reducing pollution for a cleaner and healthier environment. EPIC India researchers work hand-in-hand with government and industry partners to identify innovative ideas, pilot them on the ground, and rigorously measure outcomes.