Thank you for considering employment with the Tata Centre for Development. Below is a list of openings with TCD and our projects. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Associate Director - Information Transparency
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/ Public Policy
- 8-10 Years
- Proven track record of strategic leadership, management, and experience executing a complex program (preferably with a major data or public communications component) with numerous stakeholders.
- Ability to build strong relationships with state government officials, local NGOs, government associations, business leaders, and other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English. Highly-impactful advocacy, persuasion, and marketing skills.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgement, discretion, and diplomacy. Impeccable commitment to confidentiality.
- Ability to creatively and strategically adjust to constantly-changing situations, while maintaining focus on execution and results.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and summarize complicated issues, and translate them into clear and workable action plan.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently within India.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience working on energy and environment issues.
- Basic understanding of program management, monitoring and evaluation, and applied economics research.
- Politically-astute, with a good understanding of key government agencies/departments and external organisations, and how they operate and make decisions.
- Working in collaboration with the Country Director, TCD and the Executive Director, EPIC India, the Associate Director will provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the development, budgeting, and implementation of the Star Rating Program both in existing program states, as well as new states across India, over the next three years.
- Overall, responsible for ensuring that the Star Rating Program is executed effectively, efficiently, and in a timely-manner, in both states where the program already exists, and in new states where the program does not yet exist.
- Develop, implement, and embed a knowledge management system to encourage innovation and ensure seamless information sharing across the various Star Rating Programs (in different states).
- Develop an approach to ensure that the quality, effectiveness, and integrity of the Star Rating Program is consistent across different geographies.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to identify research opportunities in the areas of Energy and Environment.
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day activities and operations of Star Rating Program team members working at Pollution Control Boards across multiple states.
- Ensure that Star Rating Program team members are performing according to the Trust’s standards, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure there is an efficient and relevant staffing structure, and lead structural changes, when necessary.
- Help build and contribute to a high-performance, dynamic, and respectful culture.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with government partners, and provide high-quality support to regional implementation teams.
- Direct and coordinate external program engagement regarding the Star Rating Program, with the government, media, and other stakeholders.
Please apply here or send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Associate Director – Information Transparency” in the subject line.
About Star Rating Program
The Star Rating Program is a novel public disclosure program that aims to reduce pollution through increased transparency of environmental performance. It utilizes continuously monitored emissions data from the 17 categories of highly polluting industries (Red category), and provides ratings to these industries from 1-star to 5-star, i.e. from least compliant to most compliant. The program aims to encourage healthy competition for better regulatory compliance to reduce air pollution. The Star Rating Program focusses on Particulate Matter (PM) emissions, which can have a severe impact on human health. The program is implemented in a phased manner, and will eventually cover all the industries belonging to the 17 categories of highly polluting industries with continuously monitored data in the state. Currently, we are working with the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board Program (www.mpcb.info), Odisha State Pollution Control Board (www.ospcb.info) and the Jharkhand State Pollution Control Board to implement Star Rating programs.
To know more, visit here.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATIONS
The University of Chicago Trust
The University of Chicago Trust (“the Trust”) is a charitable trust in India, established by the University of Chicago, to provide grants and support to educational research programs and activities of the University of Chicago in India.
Tata Centre for Development (TCD)
TCD works to identify novel solutions to India’s most pressing development challenges and to ensure that these ideas are translated into outcomes that improve people’s lives. We do this using a unique approach that harnesses rigorous, evidence-based insights from UChicago economics research combined with strategic outreach and partnership with government, industry, and innovators. Representing the joint work of the Tata Trusts and the University of Chicago, TCD is creating a new model for impact in India. TCD is an affiliated center of the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics.
Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago in India (EPIC-India)
EPIC India is an environmental and energy economics research organization based in New Delhi and affiliated with the Department of Economics at the University of Chicago. EPIC India researchers work hand-in-hand with government and industry partners to identify innovative ideas, pilot them on the ground, and rigorously measure outcomes. This approach ensures the right questions are being answered and results can be scaled up into lasting policy changes.
- Research Manager
Type of Position: Full Time
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, international development, environmental science or related fields.
- At least two to three years of experience working in a role with project-based assignments.
- Experience developing and managing projects and project budgets.
- Experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing surveys and implementing programs.
- Fluent communication skills in English and Hindi required.
- Strong academic training in qualitative and quantitative research, statistical tools and research methods is required.
- Working knowledge of statistical software like R, Stata preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of RCTS’ in development and environmental economics are required; work/research experience in the area is preferred.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive relationships with field staff and internal/external partners required.
- Creative and entrepreneurial self-starter, with a focus on execution and result.
- Communicate with local municipal authorities, state government officials and local partners.
Candidates will be offered competitive salaries. The start date is as soon as possible. Candidates will be interviewed and considered on a rolling basis. Please send a CV, cover letter, code snippet (Stata, R) to email@example.com with “Research Manager – Human Capital Formation Project” in the subject line.
April 3, 2020
About the project
The health consequences of air pollution are well understood. However, there have been only a few studies until now on how the environment affects human capital and even fewer studies that examine this in the long run. As part of this project, the Research Manager will work closely with the principal investigators, and various stakeholders (educational institutes, NGOs’ and government agencies) to pilot the project, and rigorously measure outcomes. In addition, the Research Manager will play an active role in undertaking and contributing to the development of cutting-edge research projects.
To know more, visit here.